How We Work
Broaden the pool of entrants to the policy field by recruiting nationwide to find talented first-generation college students of color whose studies are concentrated in the public policy-related social sciences.
Provide intensive hands-on training in policy analysis and on-site research at think tank partners. Fellows take classes, attend policy seminars with researchers who are leaders in their field, and work on research projects of their own design under the guidance of experts.
Illuminate career possibilities by introducing Fellows to the varied and dynamic professional opportunities in the policy sphere. Weekly site visits to leading policy institiutions and seminars with experts inspire cross-sector awareness and connected innovation.
Help Fellows establish long-term connections to mentors, experts, and institutions in their chosen policy areas. We make personalized introductions, create opportunities for one-on-one informational interviews, and match students with research and career mentors.
Support early-career success through tailored skill building, leadership development, expanded career networks, exposure to graduate school fellowship opportunites, continued mentorship, and unique publication opportunites.
INSTITUTIONAL LEVEL CHANGE
- Removing structural barriers to entry
- Creating on-ramps to policy careers
- Demystifying and clarifying career paths within each organization
- Leveraging institutional resources for more effective diversity efforts
- Building skills and experience of entry-level researchers
- Connecting institutions to diverse talent pools
- Increasing retention and satisfaction of new researchers of color
- Developing career roadmaps specifically tailored to prominent policy institutions
POLICY FIELD CHANGE
- Creating links between institutions to enhance diversity and inclusions efforts
- Pooling and coordinating resources across institutions for students and aspiring researchers
- Developing and sharing industry-wide best practices for enhancing early career experiences
- Demystifying the career pathways for entry-level jobs in policy analysis and research
- Expanding talent pool to include the perspectives of analysts from include low-to-moderate income backgrounds
- Creating a critical mass of researchers of color from low-to-moderate income backgrounds